Pages

A Royal Wedding - The Style & Inspiration

Style :
Naturally I was absorbed to the Royal Wedding of Kate and Will earlier today [come on, I'm London Bride after all!] and I had one eye on twitter, one eye on the news [and one eye on the bucks fizz I was consuming]. It was a fabulously uplifting British affair, and whilst they looked so happily in love and she looked radiant and beautiful I can't help but feel a twitch of disappointment with  her style and dress. I know I know, she is a Duchess, I know it was Westminster Abbey and it is a Royal Wedding but I do think there was a little bit of scope to be a touch more daring and contemporary. It was a McQueen design and it is 2011 after all? However that said I am also quite fond of the traditions that us Brits have held onto, and how the Royal Family keep these going so perhaps I can't complain too much.

The buzz on the bridal scene was that her inspiration was definitely a nod to Grace Kelly, as  seen in the images below the similarities with the veil, dress and bouquet are all prominent. 50's styling is so popular for many brides at the moment but I think this has given a more classic spin on the decade and hope that this inspires brides to be over the next year or so to go for a more elegant look.



I thought I'd do a London Bride interpretation of the a wedding fit for a princess. This board keeps all the elements of the Royal Wedding but with a 2011 twist. Naturally.


Lily of the Valley is a beautiful flower and was in Kate's bouquet. Instead, place them in small round vases for centre pieces. They especially look great on long rectangular tables.

A lace dress with long sleeves and a high neckline is a classic option, especially for a church wedding. However I love the modernity of this version, with the slightly raised and gathered shoulders and the cape of the lace and the slimline silhouette is a more contemporary shape.

Kate's sister Pippa wore a stunning McQueen design white cap sleeve dress. Many brides wouldn't want their Maid of Honour in the same colour, but I've always been a fan of white bridesmaids and think it's a great choice for an elegant, and chic look. Keeping it long keeps the classic edge, and the cap sleeves make it less flashy and very flattering.

Hair crowns or garlands are having a huge comeback at the moment whether fresh or artificial. I think they are such a cute option for younger bridesmaids as that way they don't have to carry the bouquet [I've seen quite often them being thrown on the floor or being picked at!].

The trees in the ceremony were a wonderful touch and quite unusual - a great way of making such a large venue feel warm and inviting. Not many venues would necessarily allow this, so I love the idea of a projection, as if the couple are in a forest. Projections are going to be more popular this year so that's a great way of incorporating them.

Happy celebrating, I hope you've all had a wonderful day full of bunting, scones, strawberries and bubbles. I know I have!

0 comments:

Post a Comment